Saturday, November 2, 2013

Quotes from The Brothers Karamazov

“A man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point where he does not discern any truth either in himself or anywhere around him, and thus falls into disrespect towards himself and others” (44). 

"It sometimes feels very good to take offense, doesn't it? And surely he knows that no one has offended him, and that he himself has invented the offense and told lies just for the beauty of it, that he has exaggerated for the sake of effect...he knows all that, and still he is the first to take offense, he likes feeling offended, it gives him great pleasure, and thus he reaches the point of hostility" (44).

“It’s already a great deal and very well for you that you dream of that in your mind and not of something else. Once in a while, by chance, you may really do some good deed” (56).

"The more I love mankind in general, the less I love people in particular, that is, individually, as separate persons...I often went so far as to think passionately of serving mankind, and, it may be, would really have gone to the cross for people if it were somehow suddenly necessary, and yet I am incapable of living in the same room with anyone even for two days, this I know from experience. As soon as someone is there, close to me, his personality oppresses my self-esteem and restricts my freedom" (57).

"You will behold great sorrow, and in this sorrow you will be happy" (77).

"But to fall in love does not mean to love. One can fall in love and still hate" (104).

"She loves her own virtue, not me" (117).

"I know your thoughts. Your heart is better than your head" (134).

"He has hidden indignation seething in him because he has to pretend...to put on all this holiness" (135).

"No, maybe you will love her eternally, but maybe you won't always be happy with her..." (145).

"Lord have mercy on them all today, unhappy and stormy as they are, preserve and guide them. All ways are yours: save them according to your ways. You are love, you will send joy to all!" (160).

..

Only a little preview of Part I (the furthest I've read)

..

{dm}

No comments:

Post a Comment