Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yesterday I met with a dear friend, Denise Smith. She is old enough to be my mom, but I greatly appreciate her time and wisdom. Among many things, we talked about the difference between doubt and unbelief. Doubt, to paraphrase her definition, is questioning a belief system. Unbelief is believing in nothing and questioning nothing. Believing in absolutes is what grounds faith of any sort. There cannot be faith without doubt, but unbelief denies the possibility of any sort of absolute, which condemns any possibility of believing or having faith in anything.

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1).

Along with my resolution to keep a blog, I've decided to commit to reading "My Utmost for His Highest," a daily devotional by Oswald Chambers. Several people have recommended it to me. Last year I read "Streams in the Desert" by L.B. Cowman, another great devotional.However, I wanted something new this year. Each day is just a page long, a thoughtful, intentional start to every morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment